Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Cardstock, Laminating, and Glue Guns OH MY!

I spent some time in my classroom today, and came home with my papers, laminator, glue gun, and got to work (during nap time of course!).

Check out these beauties...


Now what am I using them for? Well, let's start at the top.

MATH!
M: Math Games
A: At your seat (task cards)
T: Timed practice
H: Hand's on

These are going to be on my bins for my math workshop. I got the idea from Ashlyn over at The Creative Classroom. Check her out here...
The Creative Classroom

For Math this year, I am thinking of the following schedule (we have an hour for math)
Whole-group lesson/discussion/practice: 35-40 minutes
Station Work: 20 minutes

During station work - the students will visit one of the above stations each day (1 day/week will be for extended practice, tests, and/or accelerated math work on computers). During this time, I will pull small groups of students for some additional instruction based on needs. Their station groups will be heterogeneous, where as the skill based groups may contain students from each group.

Breakdown of the stations:
M: Math Games
Students will play a math game related to the skill we are working on that week. These might be folder games, board games, dice games, cards, etc.
A: At your Seat
These will be task cards. I have a bunch in my wish list for tomorrow's TPT sale! Students will complete these and turn in their sheets for me to check.
T: Timed Practice
Our math fluency is timed multi-digit multiplication. Students will time themselves working on these skills, and others.
H: Hands-on
This station will be more performance task activities. I will also be trying to incorporate some STEM activities, and critical thinking skills. 



Now onto READING!
I also adapted this idea from The Creative Classroom and am so excited to use it for my fifth graders. I had tried the Daily Five before, in previous years, but just couldn't find a way to make it fit for my kiddos. I think this may be the solution!
R: Read, Reflect, Respond.
EA: Exploring Amazing words
D: Duo Work.

In reading, I only have a 60 minute block as well. This means that our read aloud will be pushed to a different part of the day. It also means that I will be stealing some time from our writing block 3 times/week. However -- I do not see this being an issue, since we will be incorporating writing and word work into reading.

My idea for a reading block schedule this year is:
Mini-lesson: 10 - 15 minutes
Independent Reading: MWF: 30 minutes TT: 45 minutes (extended IR on these days - no station work)
Station Work: MWF: 15 minutes during this period/30 minutes of writing block.

Students will go to stations on MWF. These three days will have them completing each station, each day. On TT, there will be no stations - but rather extended independent reading.

Breakdown of the stations
R: Read, Reflect, Respond
This is going to be different things on different days. Some days, students will have a reading discussion with their groups. They may re-read a piece we read together in the mini-lesson and analyze it. Perhaps they will fill out a reflection log -- or work on something in their IRNs (Interactive Reading Notebooks).
EA: Exploring Amazing Words
In my district, we use Words Their Way. Students will be working with their word sorts in the EA station - as well as other academic vocabulary. I also love LOVE LOVE Flocabulary, and will be using it again this year. This station could also include re-watching the Flocabulary lesson for the week and completing an activity.
D: Duo work
This station will also vary based on what we are working on. This may be a time for partner reading and working on fluency. Or partner discussions. 


Onto the names!
These clothespins with the names on them will be used on our closet doors in our classroom. I plan to hot glue them on, and put student work up on them :) I may have students choose their awesome work to put on their clip, or I may choose for them. I haven't quite decided yet -- but I am super excited to be able to showcase their work!

So that is it for now!
In the comments - let me know what you think! What are your favorite ways to organize stations? 

No comments:

Post a Comment